How Do You Get the Most Out of Your Investment in CMMS?
Maintaining your equipments in the right condition is one of the most important aspects of running a manufacturing based business. In today’s digital world it is a lot simpler to check the status of your equipments in real time with the help of tools such as mobile CMMS. It is a reliable option to manage your maintenance requirements with the help of computers and the Internet. Let’s take a look at how we can make the most out of the CMMS Tools.
CMMS stands for Computerised Maintenance Management System and sometimes it is also referred to as EAM – Enterprise Asset management.
A CMMS solution comes with a set of tools that enables you to plan, manage, schedule and track your maintenance requirements. It is able to track a huge range of components such as facilities, assets, equipment or vehicles. A CMMS software can also be considered as a central location where you will be able to access all the required information related to your assets. You can also monitor and record all the important maintenance activities right from a singular central location.
How to get the most out of your CMMS?
You should consider various factors that you need to tune to make sure that your CMMS tool functions as best as it can. You may need to follow a few guidelines:
- Data – The ability of a CMMS to work better improves with the availability of data. So take the required steps to input all the important data that is pertinent to the system.
- Training – CMMS is not a run off the mill app. It requires proper education, so that the software can be used to it’s maximum efficiency.
- Improved Planning and Scheduling – CMMS shouldn’t be considered as a plug and play or an install and forget kind of system. It requires lot of user feedback as well. You need to establish a regular plan and schedule. The software will be able to guide you on the right time to carry out certain maintenance practices, however you need a field person in place at that time to carry it out effectively..
- Timely Audits – By conducting regular audits over a period of time, you can ensure that the software is working at it’s maximum efficiency. Do not forget the fact that CMMS is a very important asset under your possession and it requires proper up keeping from your side as well.
- Tracking parameters – Your CMMS data will be able to give you an idea and insight into the condition of your assets. But just collecting the data won’t do you any good. You should be able to measure the correct metrics provided by the software and analyse them for any potential scope for improvements.
The ultimate success of a CMMS tool largely depends on the way in which it is used to reduce running costs. It is proved to improve the productivity metrics over time. However, it has been observed in some cases, that the CMMS software is not able to give 100 percent results, this is mainly due to the improper implementation of the software tool. By paying close attention to the above mentioned points, you can get the most out of your CMMS tool.
CMMS is very much crucial to the current age of technological advancements and they can go a long way in helping you streamline your maintenance management. However, if you don’t take good care of the software based on best practices, then it won’t give you much in return. Do follow the tips we have mentioned in the above paragraphs and get the maximum out of this incredible tool.
I hope this article was useful for you to learn more about a CMMS tool and how it should be implemented to get the maximum results out of it.. If you have any doubts with regards to this, let us know through the comments and we will be glad to help you out. If you have any suggestions regarding how we can improve the article, let us know them through the comments as well for us to improve.
Do you have any special workflows you use to improve the efficiency of your CMMS and establish preventive maintenance plans? Let us know through the comments.